There is no question that if there is one thing that ruins our day, is when we get in our vehicle and we find out that our air conditioning system has finally kicked the bucket.
When you have to spend 10 to 20 bucks in filling up the air conditioning liquid in order to ensure that it will work as intended.
This can be a reasonable expense for anyone, but when the air conditioning system fails internally, the expenses can be much higher and that is the moment when most people realize that they are going to have to come up with a lot of cash to bring their AC back to life.
A proper repair for your air conditioning system, the same with the car’s heater repair, can cost you thousands of dollars depending on your vehicle model and the kind of damage that needs to be repaired. In some cases the entire system has to be replaced and that is going to raise the expenses even more.
The good news is that there are portable air cooling systems, especially designed for cars and trucks, that are to provide you an affordable solution for your needs.
List of the Best Portable Car AC and Cooling Fan
|Image||Portable AC/ Cooling Fan||Dimensions||Power Cord|
|MightyKool 12-volt Portable Model K2 - Editor's Choice||12 x 11 x 8 inches||12v DC Power Cord|
|IcyBreeze Cooler Chill Package||23.50 x 16.25 x 18.50 inches||Car 12V DC Power Supply/110V Power Supply/NiMH Battery|
|Arctic Air Portable Airplane Air Conditioner 12 Volt 38 Qt||19 x 14.5 x 14.5 inches||12v DC Power Cord|
|Taotuo 12V Electric Car Fan - Editor's Choice||10.5 x 3.5 x 5.5 inches||12v DC Power Cord|
|Fan-Tastic 01100WH Endless Breeze||3.8 x 14.5 x 15.2 inches||12v DC Power Cord|
|Taotuo Car Cooling Air Fan||6.3 x 4.7 x 5.5 inches||12v DC Power Cord|
Please note: Portable AC/Cooling Fan (product name and images), Weight, Dimensions, Power Source, Ice Chest Capacity and Price are obtained via Amazon.com
When to use the portable AC/Cooling Fan for car or truck?
There are many people who live in very cold areas that have short summers and long winters. If you want to save money on air conditioning. You should simply forget about the internal air conditioning system of your vehicle and start using a portable AC or a cooling fan for the hottest season of the year only. There will be no need for air conditioning once winter comes and the temperatures get very low.
This is also ideal if you are on a budget and you live in a country where hot days outnumber cold days and even the winter is barely cold enough to keep things cool inside your car. The 12v portable air conditioner for car or 12v cooling fan is always a great thing to own and it is much more affordable than repairs and maintenance for your internal AC.
The 12 volt portable air conditioner for car or 12v cooling fan can be connected through your cigarette lighter and they will be extremely useful for your needs. Others require being charged prior to being placed on your vehicle, but there are plenty of portable AC and cooling fan options depending on your budget.
The advantages of the 12v portable air conditioner for car or 12v cooling fan are that it will cost much less than the average air conditioning system. Another important thing to consider is that this usually a very durable purchase and it will be a much better option for anyone who needs air conditioning only during certain seasons. We recommend the 12 volt portable air conditioner for car or the 12v cooling fan to maximize savings.
The most important and relevant disadvantage of the 12v portable AC and 12v cooling fan is the fact that it provides a very limited range of cooling even inside of a vehicle, but it will get the job done in a similar fashion to the lowest settings of air conditioning in the internal AC of your car. Since portable car AC has no compressor, it relies on ice that serves as a cooling agent, the same concept to evaporative air coolers.
You also have the fact that they required charging with your vehicle and this means there will be more gas or battery consumption, but this is also inevitable with any AC. In addition, you will also need space inside the car or truck to place the portable AC while the cooling fan needs space on dashboard to be mounted.
The Best 12v Portable AC/Cooling Fan for Cars
1. Taotuo 12V Electric Car Fan – Editor’s Choice
- Inexpensive AC alternative for car
- Powerful motor that delivers great air flow
- 360 degree rotation
- 12v operation with 12v cord included
- Only adhesives are included to mount the fan
Are you looking for a good alternative for AC in your car? The Taotuo 12V Electric Car Fan is a good option with its great operation yet inexpensive cooling alternative for car. Just plug the fan to your car’s 12v socket and switch it on. There are two settings you can choose plus the fan can be adjusted 360 degrees. The operation is not noisy. The fan blows similarly to the lowest setting of car’s fan. This fan can be used on most vehicles with 12v socket.
Mounting this fan is easy with the adhesives provided. One drawback is that it might cause problem with your car’s dashboard if you want to remove it to change its position. If you want to do this, you also need to get another pair of adhesive.
- Sturdy and durable plastic
- Battery powered for portability
- Car power supply included
- Flexible hose for desired adjustments
- Can be used as a food and beverage cooler
- Needs extra space to place in the car
- Not suitable for cooling larger spaces
The IcyBreeze Cooler Chill Package has a cooler and an air conditioner. Ice and little water is filled in the Icybreeze cooler and the power is turned on. Air is then pulled from outside, to run across the cooling coils placed internally. The cooled air is blown out by the flexible hose. The hose directs the air to the required location. It is blown by a three speed fan keeping the area cool. This makes the product suitable for use by boaters, campers and even during sporting activities.
The IcyBreeze Cooler Chill Package also includes power source options namely a standard charger and a car power supply. This unit has a built-in battery to maintain its cooling capability even for hours of traveling. The high speed fan which is highly powered keeps area cool.
- The cooler space has 38 quarts
- Three-speed highly powered fan which blows up to 25mph
- Rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery (12V)
- Multiple lift points and ergonomic handle
- Built-in wheels for portability
- Thick and insulated side walls
- Additional integrated vent
- Made in the USA
- Remote control feature
- Light, compact and movable
- 12-volt cigarette lighter powered
- Not economical to use it for large spaces
The Aerokooler 8000 Ice Chest Air-Cooler Remote Controlled is used for small spaces. It is light and compressed with a handle and wheels for easy mobility. The unit serves both as an air-cooler and an ice chest. Ice packs are poured inside the chilling box then you plug it into a power source. The power used is the car’s 12 volt cigarette lighter socket.
Once you plug in, you turn it on using a remote. The ice packs contain melting water which is used during cooling. The cooling takes place in just a few minutes. You get the cool air at the same time your beverages stay cold. A good appliance to buy for yourself.
- 12 volt cigarette lighter
- Ice chest and air-cooler functionality
- Wheels and grips for easier movement
- Remote control
- Light and compact
- Big ice chest
- High air-flow fan
- Safety 12v plug up to 6 ft. long
- Consumes a lot of ice
This 12 volt air conditioner works efficiently in all circumstances and is able to change the temperature to 35F. The process goes on as air is forced through a radiator which is then cooled by iced water and then recirculates by a water pump. A silent fan blows the cool air with high speed, the 138 CFM fan is powerful yet quite.
This amazing air conditioner comes with a 6 ft. long cable with a cigarette lighter plug and a power led indicator. It consumes minimum energy of only 2.5 amps. Ice lasts in the air conditioner for more than 4 hours average.
- Ice’nplug is best to be used in garage or in your car; it can easily be plugged into the cigarette lighter to give cooling in heat of the summer. It is completely self-contained.
- Easy to use and cheap air conditioner which is not only suitable for car or garage but will also get fit in camps, tents, offices, cabins and many other enclosed places you can imagine.
- This unit does not require high power and voltage to provide the quality cooling but only requires some water, ice and just needs to be plugged in to get started and the rest will make you relaxed and comfortable.
Best Portable 12v AC For Trucks
5. 12-Volt MightyKool K2 Portable Cooling Unit – Editor’s Choice
- Works incredibly well for trucks
- Large space for ice or water
- Not heavy to lift for portability
- Water meter lets you know how much water is filled/left
- Comes with an exhaust
- Comes with a hefty price
- Doesn’t work well if you put a lot of water
The 12-Volt MightyKool K2 is not an ordinary cooling unit. It works very well and not just some sugar coating claims. So let’s get to the chase.
The 12-Volt MightyKool K2 is an evaporative cooler designed for outdoor use. Just add ice or water and you are good to go. It has a 12-inch 12v power cord that lets you connect to your 12v cigarette socket. It has 2 vents, both adjustable for best personal cooling experience. The water level meter is a useful feature. It tells you how much water is filled or left in the cooler. At the back of the cooler is an exhaust. This unit works incredibly well on cars, trucks boats or even great for camping. Do note that adding too much water will submerge the cooling pad resulting to less cooling performance.
This unit has a 2-year warranty which is great attraction for first time buyers.
12-Volt MightyKool K2 Demo
- Long battery life
- Big space for up to 40 lbs. of ice
- 12v power cord
- Battery is sold separately
The square shaped air conditioner by GoCool is available in grey color at amazon store where it offers free shipment of the product. This sophisticated air conditioner comes with a 12 volt electrical cord and 6’ drainage hose. This unit works best for camps, tents, cars, trucks and vehicle cabins.
If you are worried about your pet in the car or enclosed areas where they stay most of the time because of heat then GoCool air conditioner is the best thing to get your worry away. It will give the best cool atmosphere in the area for a long time, long enough for you to stay relaxed. The best advantage using this is that it requires nothing at all except for some water and some ice.
- GoCool air conditioner is able to store 9 two-liter bottles, 4 one gallon jugs or 40 pounds of bragged ice to get the cooling process started and get it going for a long time.
- This amazing air conditioner works best for small and walled places like cabs or tents from just water and ice, it is made in USA and it will give you absolutely no exhaust.
- It dehumidifies the air by adjusting the temperature with Freon low current, less than 2.0 amps.
- Great air cooler for large spaces
- Works well for trucks
- Built-in pump out feature
- 12v power cord
- Comes with a hefty price
- The louver vent is sold separately
The Arctic Air Portable Airplane Air Conditioner is a portable air conditioner powered by 12v DC. It is designed for cooling airplane baggage but it works incredibly well on trucks.
This portable AC looks like a normal cooler but it has a large compartment for ice or water. Its exterior is made with ballistic nylon which is not an ordinary material. It can withstand wear and tear, or even in harsh conditions. If you want a louver vent, you need to buy it separately. The built-in pump out feature lets you empty the cooler from water.
This AC has an extensive power cord measuring 84 inches. Its compartment has a capacity of 38-quart. There is also a 52-quart available.
- 12v DC powered air conditioner
- 38-quart capacity for ice
- Holds up to 40 lbs. of ice
- Exterior material is made with ballistic nylon
- 84-inch power cord
- Built-in pump out feature
A 12v portable AC system or 12v cooling fan can definitely be a life saver for people who are on a limited budget. There is no need for you to be experiencing the scorching hot days of summer inside a car that can easily turn into a sauna if you park it under the sun for a few hours.
The portable air conditioner for car is an option that will save you plenty of money and it will help you avoid the expenses of the internal AC that comes with your vehicle. Get a portable air conditioner for car or truck today and save money while keeping your vehicle cool.